Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Dierde Glenn Paul

I agree with Paul that rap can and should be used to bridge the cultural gap in classrooms. However, I think it should be noted what we are expecting teachers to do here. Nowadays teachers have to be attuned culturally to students who vary in socioeconomic status, race, gender, and most importantly age. Paul does not put the proper emphasis on the age factor. I am a 26 year old white middle class male aspiring to be a teacher and I bump Lil Wayne in my car. The problem is that 30 years from now Lil Wayne might be considered "tired" and maybe even rap in general may lose its cultural appeal to the youth of the future. My stereo will still probably be living in the age I grew up in. What will I do then to identify with this new crop of youth and whatever kind of music they listen to? Maybe I don't have to enjoy it, but I would respect it and seek to understand it. I enjoyed youth culture in school and I feel that I have a unique stance on issues like using rap in the classroom since I am still fairly young. My ability to understand youth culture is not because I listen to the same type of music, or went to the same places, or enjoyed the same things, but also due to the fact that I understand youth culture is generalized and misunderstood by older generations. Does this mean I have to keep my ear to the ground about what kids enjoy? In short, Paul would say yes and I would agree. As teachers we are responsible for keeping up with an ever-changing and diverse youth culture. Whether it is rap or heavy metal or whatever it is kids nowadays are interested in teachers need to know this stuff and be able to connect it to the classroom. I feel Paul's exercises she gave to teachers were fascinating. They engaged teachers in dialogue about an aspect of youth culture they may or may not be familiar with. In this case it is of course rap, but I feel Paul's exercises could apply to much more. Teachers need exercises like this to help them understand youth culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment